Saturday, January 11, 2014

First Race of the Season

This was the first race of the year for me and excited to get back at it!  Today's forecast was unusually warm (55 degrees) and there was a tornado watch in effect for the area.  I arrived at the park 1 hour prior to race start and after checking in, they wanted the ones present and ready to go ahead and start at 8:30 instead of 9:00 just in case of bad or worse weather.  They had 2 more waves to follow the first one (8:45 and 9:00 weather permitting).  I went ahead and took one hammer nutrition gel (Huckleberry flavor) and chased it with a little water.
I then decided to go ahead and start at 8:30 with the first wave group.  The gun went off (actually it was just a lady on a megaphone yelling 'go') and I lead the pack for about 1 mile into the race.  (I ran the first mile in 6:49.)   I could hear a few guys coming up behind me who had a quicker pace and passed me slowly.  I kept up with my pace even with a few slight hills and off-the-pavement (gravel trails) on some of the course and kept the front runners in sight.  The course was extremely wet and windy!  At 1.5 miles into the race I noticed my shoe was untied completely.  My shoe was very loose and I considered ditching the shoe and running with only one shoe.  I decided to just curl my toes and keep the shoe on.  This slowed me down a little but I still managed to average 7:23/mile, take 1st place in my age division and 8th overall.    I not only was proud to come in first, but proud to wear my Hammer Nutrition shirt and hat for the first time as one of their sponsored athletes!

This Week's Training:
Sunday - 45 Min. Run // 1.2 Mile Pool Swim
Monday - 45 Min. Run // Lift Weights // 1 Hour Indoor Bike Trainer
Tuesday - 1 Hour Indoor Bike Trainer
Wednesday - Run (Fartleks) // 1 Hour Indoor Bike Trainer
Thursday - Swim 2200 Yards Step-ups // Lift Weights
Friday - 3 Hours (45 Miles; Indoor Bike Trainer due to weather)
Saturday - Rest (With a 5k Race)

Remember to click on the link on the sidebar to receive 15% OFF on your first order with Hammer!  

No comments:

Post a Comment